Friday, January 8, 2016

GETTING TO KNOW MY SUBJECT

Images of dogs that are gone but thought of fondly,
 and recognitions look over a dog who love and now have
a challenge of helping the blind to see. 
After arriving to Dallas, John and Linda took me to their home.  I love visiting a subjects home. I have always said, "you really don't know someone until you run your finger along their bookshelves."

John and Linda with their daughter Jessica and dog_____ .
I have thought of this photo often as I think of the many memories they have had. 
This type of interaction though brief is important. While trying not to be intrusive and asking permission to take photographs I try to absorb a life time of memories.   I often wish I could be alone in these spaces to run my finger along the shelves and envision a past.  These pictures remind me of another commission of a former professor at my undergraduate college in Vermont and visiting Richard Hathaway's home, or spending time in his office.  
I'm absorbing the life of a man, trying to find his personality and spirit and let that come through the clay. 

A face cast of John intrigues me.
I have a book about casting faces
of famous people so the blind
can "see" their faces. I cast faces
and hands, as well as digitally scan
them. My favorite personal possession
 is the casts of my mom's and dad's hands. 



Pictures of John with family, friends, and a president. 

Had I more time I would have run my finger along this shelf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment