Sunday, August 21, 2016

What is 3D scanning and why is it needed?

To start a project I often will create small maquettes or clay sculptures. To enlarge these using digital processes I use 3D scanning and CNC Milling. I talk about my process quite a bit in my new book 3D Technology In Fine Art and Craft: Exploring 3D Printing, Scanning, Sculpting and Milling. 
Let me enlighten those who are new to my process.


I had a company that came in and scanned John for me. There is a new video of that scan in the previous post. I can't wait to get to work on this. I can do a lot of things int he computer that are harder to do with the real clay. The first thing I did was enlarged the dog.  I'll play with both of these - the dog and John until I get it the way I want it. There is no reason to put a lot of detail in this part, it is proportions I'm after. The detail will come when we get the foam back.

The foam acts as an armature for our clay.  I'm tickled to get started.




No comments:

Post a Comment