Sunday, March 5, 2017

The mold making process- John goes to pieces.

Anyone unfamiliar with the bronze casting process pretty much freaks out when they see this part. We go to great lengths to get the sculpture prefect and then we have to cut it up all over again. How do I do that? With a reciprocating saw, knives and anything I can.  The many pieces are seamed up using playing cards. Some things like the dog, I will cut apart later. We did the mold of the top of the dog, flipped him and this allowed me to add detail on his belly without standing on my head to do it.  The mold making process is a long one. Usually t he foundry does this process, but here at B. Mongeon Sculpture Designs Studios we do it ourselves.  




1 comment:

  1. Wow! Just like making slip casting molds for ceramics but these are super complicated w so many pieces. Thanks so much for letting us see the process!

    ReplyDelete